Sunday, November 2, 2008

Random weekend postings

Steve and I stayed in Madrid this weekend, to relax a bit between visitors. Jeff and Stephanie left on Friday, and we had a great visit with them. Unfortunately, the weather was terrible during their whole visit. Despite that, we managed a day trip to Toledo, which was very nice. But very hilly!



Other than Toledo, Jeff and Stephanie spent A LOT of time inside, in art museums. Now, they are playing in London for a few days, and hopefully are having a great time and enjoying nicer weather. Whoever thought London would have nicer weather than Madrid?!

Steve's parents, Tom and Nancy, arrive on Monday. They have been enjoying a Mediterranean cruise for the past two weeks, so we're dying to visit with them and hear all about it.

Starting out our lazy weekend, Steve and I discovered another GREAT Mexican restaurant called Tacubaya. Really, really good- definitely the best Mexican food I've had in a long time.

On Saturday, we booked our tickets to Rome! We are so excited to get there in a few weeks. We also went to the Reina Sofia art museum, and decided to see a movie. We went to an original version showing (i.e., in English) of Burn After Reading. The movie was decent, and it was fun to see something in English! The Spanish movie theaters are just like ours, except you get an assigned seat and you can buy beer. Both are perks that I would love American movie theaters to adopt. The seat assignment solves the annoying problem of late-arrivers asking the early-arrivers to move over, giving up the seat they arrived early to choose. This drives me nuts! And the beer has its obvious advantages.

I don't know what the day today holds in store, but we're headed to the Teatro Real tonight to see an opera (well, not really an opera, but an oratorio: it seems that the Pope banned operas in 1701, so this was called an oratorio, but has many operatic elements). We're seeing Il trionfo del Tempo e del Disinganno. We'll report back! At the least, I think the theater will be amazing!

2 comments:

Karee said...

Ooooh! I don't know if you remember from our wedding, but we used a communal wedding ring that my family bought when we were visiting Toledo...Jews were forced to hide their religion and pray in underground areas and they had communal rings for the all the Jews to share. I know there are lots of fabulous places in and around Spain, but I will always love Toledo. :)

Amanda said...

Hi Karee! We actually toured an old synagogue/museum in Toledo and learned all about the Jewish culture in Toledo, and Spain in general. It was an awesome museum, and definitely worth seeing. We thought of you!