Amanda and I returned yesterday from our Andaluciana vacation slightly earlier than planned. Our plan was to spend an afternoon in Cordoba; then one night and one full day in Sevilla; then one night and one full day in Granada. Unfortunately, the tickets to the Alhambra (in Granada) were sold out for any day we could stay in Granada. Our time in Cordoba and Sevilla was great, however. I am sure it will be the subject of a blog post in the near future.
My point here is to discuss the new high-speed commuter rail, the Alta Velocidad Espanola ("AVE"). The AVE connects Madrid to Barcelona and to Sevilla. The AVE from Madrid to Barcelona stops in Zaragoza. The AVE from Madrid to Sevilla stops in Ciudad Real, Puertollano, and Córdoba.
The AVE could reach speeds of 357 kilometers per hour (220 MPH)! They do not allow the trains to go that fast, however. Wiki says the trains maintain a maximum speed of 250 KPH, but a spedometer in our car said the train reached 299 KPH. It is amazing to watch the world go by from ground level at 300 KPH. Not only was the AVE lightning fast, but it was comfortable, clean, and on-time. Our tickets cost 10.35Euros per person with our Eurail pass; I think they would have cost 60Euros without the pass.
I would love to see an American commuter rail system based on the The European model. Unfortunately, I don't see any way this will happen in the near future, given the legal and regulatory nightmare that would be involved.
If you are ever in Spain, I highly recommend taking a trip on the AVE. You will not be disappointed.
Friday, September 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment